Saturday, December 27, 2008

Fitzroy to Derby, the Day After the First Rain

Wow, three blog entries in 2 days! Obviously I have had some time off from work and study over Christmas! :-)

Another 'field trip' today. This time Lensia came with us and we travelled to Derby to visit friends of mine, Ross and Caro, from Perth who are here in the Kimberley for about 6 weeks. Apart from anything else, it was really, really nice to see friendly faces from home.

Of course, lots and lots of photos were taken! Most of the pictures are taken out of the moving car, so I am very impressed with my camera. (each of the pictures is worth clicking on to enlarge!)

From the 80 or so pictures (and vid), here are some I thought you may like to take a look at.

The sky changed from grey to blue to aqua and teal. Storms threatened, came, disappeared ... the whole gambit. Places that were flooded yesterday had subsided today. Most AMAZING were the trees and shrubs which, until the rain, had appeared ordinary and dormant. Today they were alive with blossoms!
There is one video, that is not take close enough, but watch, as they are DANCING BROLGA!!
The bush that is growing up another tree is Mistletoe! Where ever you see water, there was no water before. Where there is green, grass, colour, there was none before. Awesome!

The frogs last night (and tonight to a lesser extent) were deafening. I can only say I think there were 10's of thousands of them that came out of hibernation at the first rain and ..... they mated themselves silly - very loudly!

I really do hope you enjoy the pictures I post here, as it is difficult to explain the rapid changes in words. The colours are so rich and crisp. For those of you who have travelled these parts in the Dry Season, can you imagine seeing everything this green???
I do connect all the pictures when I load them up, but they spread out on the actual viewing page. I must need to read the instructions! :-)
Enjoy ...
xx




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Noela you take some of the most amazing photos I've seen in a while. All the painting you've done shows in how well the pictures are composed.

I wish I had subject matter like that around here. :)

Noela said...

Oh, Daniel, thank you for your compliment. To be honest, I do think about the composition (1/3 - 2/3 visual thing), but when all is said and done, I take most of the pictures without my reading glasses and just trust the camera!!

I am SURE snow and ice make beautiful pictures, too. :-)

Noela said...

Dan, did you listen to the Frogs and watch the brolgas dancing?

Unknown said...

I did listen the frogs - twice. I'll have to check brolgas again. By the way, when I watched the video of the frogs I wondered, "Didn't she have frogs like these living outside her bedroom window in Perth?" lol

Noela said...

Just the one frog outside my bedroom in Port Kennedy! What a memory you have ... that must be 8 years ago!
The sound of one frog calling for a mate was ... dificult to live with. The sound of 10's of thousands of them seems easier to cope with somehow.